Thursday, January 31, 2008

Music to Check Out

Riot! album by Paramore. There aren't enough good rock groups out there with a female singer, but this one comes through. I really enjoy this album and will have to check out their other one.

Minutes to Midnight album by Linkin Park. Even if you don't like LP, maybe especially if you don't like LP, you should at least find somewhere to listen to this. Apart from one or two songs, it is quite different than their previous work, and I like it. Mr. Hahn spends most of the album on a midi board; I miss him on the turntables, but the album works. The album kind of reminds me of the Silverchair album I discuss below. It has a bit of a pop edge to it, but it doesn't cross over into pop; it manages to accomplish a sound somehow different.

Diorama album by Silverchair. This is an older album that B. turned me on to. It has a really interesting sound, especially listening to it straight through. It's not good driving or exercise music, but it is a fantastic composition for just listening.

World of Monsters album by the Drovers. I've loved this album for a long time, since I helped a coworker at American Airlines find it way back in the 20th century and listened to it myself. They were a sort of celtic rock band from Chicago way back 'in the day'. The last track, When Fortune Turns Her Wheel, is one of my all-time favorites.

How to Save a Life album by the Fray. I know, some of these songs are overplayed, and the sound pretty similar to each other, but there are some gems on it. Hundred is one of my new favorite songs.

It Won't Be Soon Before Long album by Maroon 5. Really only the first 4 or 5 tracks are that good; then it slips into standard top 40 single-mode. You might not like it, but I think the beginning of the album is worth checking out.

Liberation Transmission album by the Lost Prophets. There are a few good songs on here, kind of in the vein of the Fray, in my opinion. (I don't know which came first; I'm just trying to make a comparison.) 4:AM Forever is probably the best track on the album.

Of course, I always have to mention Moxy Früvous. They aren't exactly what most people would like, but their talent, lyrics, humour, and general fun make them great to me and some others.

I'm not sure why I felt like sharing all that, but there you go. Enjoy!

No comments: