Saturday, February 9, 2008

Followup to Yesterday's Novel

You know where I realized that running worked completely different muscles than the elliptical? Yeah, well, yesterday's realization is nothing compared to the epiphany I had upon waking this morning (if you can call it waking, more on that later). Holy [insert four-letter expletive of your choice]! Various parts of my legs, lower back, butt, and feet hurt like hell. I guess I should look on the bright side, that I am sore fewer than 24 hours later, when it used to take 36 to 48 hours (metabolism speeding up), and this should indicate that I have made some progress and the next time should be easier.

One side effect of exercising that I forgot to mention is the return of insomnia. In high school, I always had trouble sleeping. I would have a hard time getting to sleep, then I would only sleep well for two to four hours before waking up and having a fitful time the rest of the evening. This would usually be followed by a nearly mandatory nap sometime in the day. When I got fat, at least I had the good fortune of being able to sleep...sometimes for 12+ hours a day. Well, as I get into better shape and my metabolism increases, the insomnia has returned. Two nights ago was the first good night's sleep I've had in over a week, and last night I slept for a grand total of 4.5 hours before waking up at 6:00 and staring at the ceiling for an hour until I decided to go ahead and get up. Another side effect is an increase in mania, but that's another story and I feel like doing my daily sudokus, so peace out. Hopefully you're all still asleep when I post this.

3 comments:

James said...

That's odd, your insomnia. When I was doing PT in the Army, I would have no trouble getting to sleep at night.
When are you doing your running? If it is in the later afternoon/evening it could be that shifting to an early morning routine might fix that.

Britt F. Frey said...

The insomnia isn't from running really, just based on my overall shape. Running late at night just makes it even harder to go to sleep, but I have problems all the time and always have problems staying asleep.

James said...

Exactly,
After your run, your heart rate is increased and stays elevated throughout the day, even if you run at night.