Friday, February 15, 2008

Hello, Boston

When I awoke this morning, one of the first thoughts through my head was 'What the hell am I doing?' It's a question that's been plaguing me all day. What am I doing here? I don't mean that in the metaphysical/existential sense. Why, exactly, did I decide to come? I've always thought I should visit New England, but I've never had a strong compulsion to actually do so. Joe's been trying to get me to visit since he moved, something like two years ago. Dave, the kind gentleman putting me up for the first few days, also has said in the past that I should visit. Some of the HK exchange students planned on using a Boston Beerfest as an excuse to have a reunion this spring. There is one this weekend, but it sold out before I could get my tickets, and noone else is coming to visit this weekend; it's just me, the Boston locals, and no Beerfest (not that I particularly enjoy beer). That doesn't really bother me, though, as I can tell now that's not really why I'm here.

So, why am I here? What made me spend the money and time to travel across the country to Boston. Why did I decide to pick a weekend and come without any itinerary or desires? It's not like I was thinking I really wanted to see what Boston was like, in case I wanted to live here; I don't know of anything in Boston I really care to see. When I decided to come, it felt like the thing to do - a perfect idea. Now it feels like I was crazy for even considering it. It's not like plans have fallen through and I am now not sure I want to be here; I had no plans. It just seemed like I ought to be in Boston this weekend, and now I'm at a loss as to why I listened to that feeling and, if it's right, what I'm supposed to do now that I'm here.

The whole thing just doesn't make much sense to me. For those that don't know me, spontaneously booking a trip like this is far outside my realm of normal behaviour, and looking back on it, it disturbs me a bit to not know what I'm doing or why. Anyway, I suppose I will wait and see, though I don't know what I'm supposed to be watching :/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be the simple desire to explore and discover, like our ancestors did.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with Michael Silva, but he lives in Boston.

Anonymous said...

I do believe you are overthinking this. Just have a fun time. Boston is great.

That is one bummer about living in Alaska; that booking a spontaneous weekend trip is near impossible. Everything is just too far away.

Britt F. Frey said...

James: I don't think that's it. I really don't care if I see much while I'm here. I mean, I did go see some stuff today, and saw a decent amount on my walk yesterday, but it's definitely not why I'm here.

Jill (which I only know because you mentioned Alaska): I overthink everything ;) Yeah, you need to make spontaneous trips to visit me!

Anonymous said...

well make a spontaneous trip to HK again, I heard it's quite fun ;)

Joseph L. Selby said...

You've been saying hello to Boston for far too long! Where's the Goodbye Boston post where you say, "Well, my trip was sucking until I went to visit Joe and Jen and that was a rocking time!" :P

James said...

Are we to re-visit the "stick" method to get you to update this thing?