Sunday, August 12, 2007

Smell my nutmeg!

No, I'm not going to help you make that make sense. MWAHAHAHAHAH!

I thought I might give my faithful consumers a glimpse at one of the revolutionary features of Britt 5.0. Previous versions of Britt used rudimentary and discrete importance and meaning routines. All events were evaluated for importance and meaning. These routines...ahh, screw it, this programming metaphor is getting old quickly. Anyway, I used to look at everything that happened and try to figure out what it meant, thinking everything had to mean something. Also, once I thought I had stuff figured out, I would decide if something was important, pretty much an all or nothing type of thing. While I used to make fun of Rod for thinking in discrete terms, where everything had to be all or nothing, I've realized recently that I was doing the same thing. Even worse, I was thinking I was being 'mature' for thinking that way. For example, while Rod would turn the A/C on full blast until he was cold, then turn the heat on, I wouldn't get into any types of relationships unless I already knew I might be able to be with the girl for a long time. If I didn't think marriage was possible, I didn't want anything more than friendship, if I even allowed for that.

I'm starting to realize that this is idiotic, immature, and probably just an extension of my desire for control and fear of commitment, which are probably the same thing really. Sometimes, things don't mean anything at all, or maybe things aren't clear to the people involved. Sure, sometimes events or actions have meaning, but not everything does. And jumping straight from nothing to everything, does it have to be like that, and is that even a good idea? I need to be willing to be wrong if I ever want to be right. Of course, like Socrates, I should always realize that I know nothing, but that's very hard to do :)

So these are things I've been thinking on for a bit and plan to think about a good deal more over the next few months, among other things. If you want to talk about this topic or similar ones, feel free.

Britt 5.0 is currently in development with public beta testing beginning in Q4 2007 and an expected release date in Q1 2008. Check back often for previews of other features in development.

8 comments:

PhotoQuirk said...

Don't go overboard with the Socrates i-know-nothing technique, he was put to death. ;o)

Britt F. Frey said...

Yeah, but that was for corrupting the youth and denying the existence of the gods or, more honestly, being a smart ass. Luckily, they can't put me to death for any of those now :P

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't like anonymous posting, eh?

Britt F. Frey said...

Did it get disabled? I think it's still an option.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong post. My bad.

Sara said...

Hi Britt! I hope you made it to Hong Kong ok. Commence comment: It's not that bad to look for longevity in a relationship with a girl. It's actually more mature to do that than just going out for the fun of it. If you don't think you can marry someone, why date them? If you don't think it through, someone will just get hurt in the process.

Britt F. Frey said...

Oh, I still think permanence is a necessary property, but I think I was mistaken in thinking that I would be able to tell that with complete certainty before ever getting into any kind of relationship or dating with the person. I definitely don't want to go out just for the fun of it, as that's far more trouble than it's worth :)

Anonymous said...

Britt, I need your current address. Send me an email via Tulsa Living if you don't have my email handy.